10/01/2012 - 17:53
The World Development Indicators (WDI) database has been updated. New child mortality estimates by the UN Inter-agency group for Child Mortality Estimation (UN IGME) have been released for neonatal, infant and under-five mortality; and new malnutrition estimates have been jointly released by WHO, UNICEF, and the World Bank. Other series that have been updated include education statistics, military expenditure, private participation in infrastructure, balance of payments series, monetary...
09/28/2012 - 10:30
UNICEF, WHO and the World Bank have collaborated to produce a set of joint estimates of child malnutrition for 2011 as well as trends since 1990. The report is available here.
09/11/2012 - 12:40
The Little Data Book on Financial Development 2013 is a pocket edition of the Global Financial Development Database, accompanying the Global Financial Development Report 2013. The Global Financial Development Database is an improved and more complete database on financial sector development that takes into account the multidimensional nature of financial systemsThe book contains data for 38 selected indicators of financial sector development for more than 200 economies.
09/04/2012 - 12:24
In most countries, women are less likely than men to participate in the labor market, that is, less likely to be employed or looking actively for a job.
07/24/2012 - 14:26
President Jim Kim announced the release of a new data portal focused on gender issues at the recent “Closing the Gender Data Gap” conference, held in Washington DC on July 19.
07/13/2012 - 15:19
Each year on July 1, The World Bank revises the classification of the world’s economies based on estimates of gross national income (GNI) per capita for the previous year. The updated GNI per capita estimates are also used as input to the Bank’s operational classification of economies, which determines their lending eligibility. As of 1 July 2012, the World Bank income classifications by GNI per capita are as follows:
06/07/2012 - 18:33
Between 2000 and 2008, the ratio of public and publicly guaranteed debt service to exports for developing regions declined from 12.5 percent to 3.4 percent. With the IMF and World Bank’s debt sustainability framework threshold set at debt service of 15 and 25 percent of exports, the data showed a trend towards achieving sustainable economic growth.
05/17/2012 - 16:07
The new Little Green Data Book 2012 is now available, featuring a compilation of environmental data for more than 200 countries.
05/04/2012 - 14:27
Every day, 800 women die from pregnancy-related causes during pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum. Over 99% of these 287,000 annual deaths occur in developing countries, and most are avoidable, as the health-care solutions to prevent or manage complications are well known. About 56% of the deaths occurred in Sub-Saharan Africa with another 29% in South Asia – these two regions together account for 85% of maternal mortality in the world.
04/23/2012 - 09:55
As part of our focus on results, accountability and openness, the World Bank has developed an electronic version of its Corporate Scorecard, providing a snapshot of the Bank's overall performance in the context of development results. The electronic version of the Corporate Scorecard provides users with easy on-line access to indicators, data disaggregated by regions and countries for selected indicators, time series, and visual data representation. The online Scorecard also includes...